Prof John Coggan
Copyright Notice: Any articles made available for download are for personal use only. Any other use requires prior permission of the author and the copyright holder.
Copyright Notice: Any articles made available for download are for personal use only. Any other use requires prior permission of the author and the copyright holder.
- Wang Y. (2023) Modelling of hydraulic fracturing using extended finite element method.
- Robiati C, Mastrantoni G, Francioni M, Eyre M, Coggan J, Mazzanti P. (2023) Contribution of High-Resolution Virtual Outcrop Models for the Definition of Rockfall Activity and Associated Hazard Modelling, Land, volume 12, no. 1, pages 191-191, DOI:10.3390/land12010191. [PDF]
- Carter-Greaves LE, Eyre M, Vogt D, Coggan J. (2023) Algorithm development for automated key block analysis in tunnels from LiDAR point cloud data, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, volume 132, DOI:10.1016/j.tust.2022.104787.
- Robiati C, Mastrantoni G, Francioni M, Eyre M, Coggan J, Mazzanti P. (2022) Contribution of High-Resolution Digital Twins for the Definition of Rockfall Activity and Associated Hazard Modelling, DOI:10.20944/preprints202212.0142.v1. [PDF]
- He L. (2022) Analysis of the role of discontinuities on landslide instability at various scales utilising remote sensing data and numerical modelling.
- He L, Francioni M, Coggan J, Calamita F, Eyre M. (2022) Modelling the Influence of Geological Structures in Paleo Rock Avalanche Failures Using Field and Remote Sensing Data, Remote Sensing, volume 14, no. 16, DOI:10.3390/rs14164090.
- He L, Coggan J, Stead D, Francioni M, Eyre M. (2022) Modelling discontinuity control on the development of Hell’s Mouth landslide, Landslides, volume 19, no. 2, pages 277-295, DOI:10.1007/s10346-021-01813-3.
- Tonkins M, Fernandez Guijarro A, Gullon Buceta A, Eyre M, Jasiulek D, Coggan J. (2021) Evaluation of brittle fracturing in the sedimentary rock through laboratory analysis and computer simulation, Acta Montanistica Slovaca, volume 26, no. 4, pages 634-648, DOI:10.46544/AMS.v26i4.04.
- Gallwey J. (2021) Development of Mining Sector Applications for Emerging Remote Sensing and Deep Learning Technologies.
- He L, Coggan J, Francioni M, Eyre M. (2021) Maximizing impacts of remote sensing surveys in slope stability—a novel method to incorporate discontinuities into machine learning landslide prediction, ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information, volume 10, no. 4, DOI:10.3390/ijgi10040232.
- Gallwey J, Eyre M, Coggan J. (2021) A machine learning approach for the detection of supporting rock bolts from laser scan data in an underground mine, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, volume 107, DOI:10.1016/j.tust.2020.103656.
- Gallwey J, Yeomans C, Tonkins M, Coggan J, Vogt D, Eyre M. (2020) USING DEEP LEARNING AND HOUGH TRANSFORMATIONS TO INFER MINERALISED VEINS FROM LIDAR DATA OVER HISTORIC MINING AREAS, 2020 XXIV ISPRS Congress, Nice, France, 14th Jun - 20th Aug 2020, International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences - ISPRS Archives, volume xlII-B2-2020, pages 1561-1568, DOI:10.5194/isprs-archives-XLIII-B2-2020-1561-2020.
- Gallwey J, Robiati C, Coggan J, Vogt D, Eyre M. (2020) A Sentinel-2 based multispectral convolutional neural network for detecting artisanal small-scale mining in Ghana: Applying deep learning to shallow mining, Remote Sensing of Environment, volume 248, DOI:10.1016/j.rse.2020.111970.
- Francioni M, Antonaci F, Sciarra N, Robiati C, Coggan J, Stead D, Calamita F. (2020) Application of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Data and Discrete Fracture Network Models for Improved Rockfall Simulations, Remote Sensing, volume 12, no. 12, pages 1-28, DOI:10.3390/rs12122053.
- Shellam R, Coggan J. (2020) Analysis of velocity and acceleration trends using slope stability radar to identify failure ‘signatures’ to better inform deformation trigger action response plans, Slope Stabililty 2020, Perth, 12th - 14th May 2020.
- Salvini R, Vanneschi C, Coggan JS, Mastrorocco G. (2020) Evaluation of the Use of UAV Photogrammetry for Rock Discontinuity Roughness Characterization, Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, volume 53, no. 8, pages 3699-3720, DOI:10.1007/s00603-020-02130-2. [PDF]
- Robiati C, Eyre M, Vanneschi C, Francioni M, Venn A, Coggan JS. (2019) Application of Remote Sensing Data for Evaluation of Rockfall Potential within a Quarry Slope, ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information, volume 8, pages 1-24, article no. 367, DOI:10.3390/ijgi8090367.
- Gallwey J, Eyre M, Tonkins M, Coggan J. (2019) Bringing lunar LiDAR back down to earth: Mapping our industrial heritage through deep transfer learning, Remote Sensing, volume 11, no. 17, DOI:10.3390/rs11171994.
- Tonkins M. (2019) Development of an Open Source Drillability Framework: Using Offshore Pile Top Large Diameter Drills as a case study.
- Francioni M, Calamita F, Coggan JS, De Nardis A, Eyre M, Miccadei E, Piacentini T, Stead D, Sciarra N. (2019) A Multi-Disciplinary Approach to the Study of Large Rock Avalanches Combining Remote Sensing, GIS and Field Surveys: The Case of the Scanno Landslide, Italy, Remote Sensing, volume 11, pages 1-25, article no. rs11131570, DOI:10.3390/rs11131570.
- Vanneschi C, Eyre M, Venn A, Coggan JS. (2019) Investigation and modeling of direct toppling using a three-dimensional distinct element approach with incorporation of point cloud geometry, Landslides, volume 16, no. 8, pages 1453-1465, DOI:10.1007/s10346-019-01192-w.
- Bedford M, Gibson ADW, Coggan J, Siever K, Wrana A, Sobczak D, Álvarez O, Satterley C. (2019) Ultrasonic inspection of flooded mineshafts for stability monitoring, Mining Technology, DOI:10.1080/25726668.2019.1607459.
- Eberhardt E, Willenberg H, Stead D, Coggan J. (2018) An integrated numerical analysis approach applied to the Randa rockslide, Landslides, Taylor & Francis, 355-362, DOI:10.1201/9780203749197-48.
- Vanneschi C, Eyre M, Burda J, Zizka L, Francioni M, Coggan JS. (2018) Investigation of landslide failure mechanisms adjacent to lignite mining operations in North Bohemia (Czech Republic) through a limit equilibrium/finite element modelling approach, Geomorphology, volume 320, pages 142-153, DOI:10.1016/j.geomorph.2018.08.006.
- Francioni M, Coggan J, Eyre M, Stead D. (2018) A combined field/remote sensing approach for characterizing landslide risk in coastal areas, International journal of applied earth observation and geoinformation : ITC journal, volume 67, pages 79-95, DOI:10.1016/j.jag.2017.12.016.
- Francioni M, Salvini R, Stead D, Coggan J. (2018) Improvements in the integration of remote sensing and rock slope modelling, NATURAL HAZARDS, volume 90, no. 2, pages 975-1004, DOI:10.1007/s11069-017-3116-8. [PDF]
- Salvini R, Mastrorocco G, Esposito G, Di Bartolo S, Coggan J, Vanneschi C. (2018) Use of a remotely piloted aircraft system for hazard assessment in a rocky mining area (Lucca, Italy), Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, volume 18, no. 1, pages 287-302, DOI:10.5194/nhess-18-287-2018.
- Tonkins MC, Coggan JS. (2017) Characterization of Rock Fracturing for Vertical Boreability, Procedia Engineering, volume 191, pages 112-118, DOI:10.1016/j.proeng.2017.05.161.
- Vanneschi C, Eyre M, Francioni M, Coggan J. (2017) The Use of Remote Sensing Techniques for Monitoring and Characterization of Slope Instability, Procedia Engineering, volume 191, pages 150-157, DOI:10.1016/j.proeng.2017.05.166.
- Saussaye L, Van Veen E, Rollinson G, Boutouil M, Andersen JCO, Coggan J. (2017) Geotechnical and mineralogical characterisations of marine dredged sediments before and after stabilisation to optimise their use as a road material, Environmental Technology, volume 38, no. 23, pages 3034-3046, DOI:10.1080/09593330.2017.1287220.
- Eyre M, Foster P, Speake G, Coggan J. (2017) Integration of Laser Scanning and Three-dimensional Models in the Legal Process Following an Industrial Accident, Safety and Health at Work, volume 8, no. 3, pages 306-314, DOI:10.1016/j.shaw.2016.11.005. [PDF]
- Coggan JS, Pascoe DM, Eyre ML, Howe JH. (2016) Integrated use of terrestrial laser scanning and thermal imagery for characterization of hydrothermally altered granites, Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Geotechnical and Geophysical Site Characterisation, ISC 2016, volume 2, pages 855-860.
- Eyre M, Wetherelt A, Coggan J. (2016) Evaluation of automated underground mapping solutions for mining and civil engineering applications, Journal of Applied Remote Sensing, volume 10, no. 4, DOI:10.1117/1.JRS.10.046011.
- Francioni M, Coggan JS, Eyre M, Vanneschi C, Penfound-Marks LRG, Stead D. (2016) A multi-scale and multi-disciplinary approach for the study and monitoring of rocky coastlines, 88th Congress of the Italian Geological Society, Naples, 7th - 9th Sep 2016, Rendiconti Online della Società Geologica Italiana, volume 40, pages 350-350.
- Vanneschi C, Coggan J, Mastrorocco G, Francioni M, Eyre M, Salvini R. (2016) Remote sensing techniques in underground mining: Application of terrestrial LIDAR for stability analysis and optimization of excavation activities, 88th Congress of the Italian Geological Society, Naples, 7th - 9th Sep 2016, Rendiconti Online della Società Geologica Italiana, volume 40, pages 713-713.
- Havaej M, Stead D, Coggan JS, Elmo D. (2016) Application of discrete fracture networks (DFN) in the stability analysis of Delabole Slate Quarry, Cornwall, UK, American Rock Mechanics Association (ARMA): 50th Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium, Houston, Texas, Usa, 26th - 29th Jun 2016.
- L. Saussaye, H. Hamdoun, L. Leleyter, E. van Veen, Coggan JS, Rollinson GR, W.Maherzi, M. Boutouil, F. Baraud. (2016) Trace element mobility in a polluted marine sediment after stabilisation with hydraulic binders, Marine Pollution Bulletin, volume 110, pages 401-408, DOI:10.1016/j.marpolbul.2016.06.035.
- Singh R, Kumar A, Singh AK, Coggan J, Ram S. (2016) Rib/snook design in mechanised depillaring of rectangular/square pillars, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, volume 84, pages 119-129, DOI:10.1016/j.ijrmms.2016.02.008. [PDF]
- Sajid M, Coggan J, Arif M, Andersen J, Rollinson G. (2016) Petrographic features as an effective indicator for the variation in strength of granites, Engineering Geology, volume 202, pages 44-54, DOI:10.1016/j.enggeo.2016.01.001.
- Havaej M, Coggan J, Stead D, Elmo D. (2015) A combined remote sensing–numerical modelling approach to the stability analysis of Delabole Slate Quarry, Cornwall, UK, Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, volume 49, no. 4, pages 1227-1245, DOI:10.1007/s00603-015-0805-z.
- Keverne B, Howe JH, Pascoe DM, Eyre ML, Coggan JS. (2015) Remediation of a hazardous legacy slope face using pre-split blasting, Eurock2015, Salzburg, Austria, 7th - 10th Oct 2015, Proceedings of the ISRM Regional Symposium Eurock2015 & 64th Geomechanics Colloquium, pages 217-222.
- Hamdoun H, Leleyter L, Van-Veen E, Coggan J, Basset B, Lemoine M, Baraud F. (2015) Comparison of three procedures (single, sequential and kinetic extractions) for mobility assessment of Cu, Pb and Zn in harbour sediments, Comptes Rendus Géoscience, volume 347, no. 2, pages 94-102, DOI:10.1016/j.crte.2015.03.003.
- Eyre ML, Foster PJ, Jobling-Purser J, Coggan J. (2015) The Benefits of Laser Scanning & 3D Modelling in Accident Investigation: In a Mining Context, Transactions of the Institutions of Mining and Metallurgy Section A: Mining Technology, volume 124, no. 2, pages 73-77, DOI:10.1179/1743286315Y.0000000004.
- Hamdoun H, Van-Veen E, Basset B, Lemoine M, Coggan J, Leleyter L, Baraud F. (2015) Characterization of harbor sediments from the English Channel: assessment of heavy metal enrichment, biological effect and mobility, Marine Pollution Bulletin, volume 90, no. 1-2, pages 273-280, DOI:10.1016/j.marpolbul.2014.10.030. [PDF]
- Havaej M, Coggan JS, Stead D. (2014) Digital data acquisition for effective modeling of rock slope behavior, International Discrete Fracture Network Engineering Conference, Vancouver, Canada, 19th - 22nd Oct 2014.
- Yasrebi AB, Wetherelt A, Foster PJ, Coggan JS, Afzal P. (2014) Application of a density-number (D-N)fractal modelling to correlate mineralised zones in Kahang Cu-Mo porphyry deposit, 22nd ACME Conference on Computational Mechanics, Exeter, Uk, 2nd - 4th Apr 2014.
- Eyre ML, Pascoe DM, Foster PF, Coggan JS. (2014) Digital data acquisition for effective slope management, 22nd ACME Conference on Computational Mechanics, Exeter, Uk, 2nd Apr - 4th Feb 2014.
- Coggan JS, Stead D, Gao F. (2014) Numerical modelling of brittle fracture in geological materials, 22nd ACME Conference on Computational Mechanics, Exeter, Uk, 2nd Apr - 4th Feb 2014.
- Yasrebi AB, Wetherelt A, Foster P, Coggan J, Afzal P, Agterberg F, Kaveh Ahangaran D. (2014) Application of a density-volume fractal model for rock characterisation of the Kahang porphyry deposit, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, volume 66, pages 188-193, DOI:10.1016/j.ijrmms.2013.12.022.
- Coggan J, Yelland S. (2014) Negotiation of poor ground in an undersea tunnel, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Forensic Engineering, volume 167, no. 3, pages 143-150, DOI:10.1680/feng.13.00027. [PDF]
- Gao F, Stead D, Coggan J. (2014) Evaluation of coal longwall caving characteristics using an innovative UDEC Trigon approach, Computers and Geotechnics, volume 55, pages 448-460, DOI:10.1016/j.compgeo.2013.09.020. [PDF]
- van Veen E, Hamdoun H, Leleyter L, Baraud F, Rollinson G, Andersen JC, Coggan JS. (2013) What does the residual fraction look like? Automated mineralogy after three different single leach extractions, 7th International Workshop on Chemical Bioavailability, Keyworth, Nottingham, 3rd - 6th Nov 2013.
- Yasrebi AB, Wetherelt A, Foster PJ, Afzal P, Coggan J, Ahangaran DK. (2013) Application of rqd-number and rqd-volume multifractal modelling to delineate rock mass characterisation in kahang cu-mo porphyry deposit, central iran, Archives of Mining Sciences, volume 58, no. 4, pages 1023-1035, DOI:10.2478/amsc-2013-0071.
- Coggan JS, Eyre M. (2013) Application of rockfall risk assessment for surface mining operations, ICSMRI 2013, London, 15th - 17th Oct 2013, 35th International Conference of Safety in Mines Research Institutes, pages 3-12.
- McAllister R, Walton G, Coggan J, Wetherelt A. (2013) A legacy slope failure in Penlee Quarry - A warning to others, Geoscience in South-West England, volume 13, no. 2, pages 183-190.
- van Veen E, Andersen JC, Rollinson GK, Coggan JS. (2013) Characterisation of dredged harbour sediment using automated mineralogy, GESeD: Gestion Environementale des Sediments de Dragage, Caen, France, 10th - 12th Apr 2013.
- Coggan JS, Stead D, Howe JH, Faulks CI. (2013) Mineralogical controls on the engineering behavior of hydrothermally altered granites under uniaxial compression, Engineering Geology, volume 160, pages 89-102, DOI:10.1016/j.enggeo.2013.04.001. [PDF]
- Millar DL, Brown TJ, Kruyswijk JB, Smith N, Coggan JS, Foster PJ, Steadman EJ, Evans DJ, Hewitt J. (2012) Assessing the feasibility of underground mining of aggregates in Southern and Eastern England, 16th Extractive Industry Geology Conference, Portsmouth, 8th - 11th Sep 2010, 2012, pages 54-70. [PDF]
- Stead D, Jaboyedoff M, Coggan JS. (2012) Rock slope characterization and geomechanical modelling, 11th International Landslide Conference, Banff, Alberta, Canada, 3rd - 8th Jun 2012, Landslides and Engineered Slopes: Protecting Society through Improved Understanding, volume Volume 1, pages 83-100. [PDF]
- Stead D, Coggan JS. (2012) Numerical modeling of rock-slope instability, Landslides: Types, Mechanisms and Modeling, Cambridge University Press, 144-157.
- Gao F, Coggan J, Stead D, Elmo D. (2012) Numerical modelling of the effects of weak immediate roof lithology on coal mine roadway stability, International Journal of Coal Geology, volume 90-91, pages 100-109, DOI:10.1016/j.coal.2011.11.003.
- Coggan J. (2011) Book review: Specification for tunnelling, 3rd edition, Géotechnique, volume 61, no. 2, pages 185-185, DOI:10.1680/geot.10.b.003.
- Styles TD, Coggan JS, Pine RJ. (2011) Stability analysis of a large fractured rock slope using a DFN-based mass strength approach, Slope Stability 2011, Vancouver, Canada, 18th - 21st Sep 2011.
- Styles TD, Coggan JS, Pine RJ. (2011) Back analysis of the Joss Bay Chalk Cliff Failure using numerical modelling, Engineering Geology, volume 120, no. 1-4, pages 81-90, DOI:10.1016/j.enggeo.2011.04.004.
- Brown TJ, Coggan JS, Evans DJ, Foster PJ, Hewitt JH, Kruyswijk JB, Millar DL, Smith N, Steadman EJ. (2010) Underground mining of aggregates, MIRO, Mineral Industry Research Organisation, 316 pages.
- Coggan JS, Howe JH, Stead D. (2009) Effects of alteration on the engineering behaviour and fracture characteristics of granite under uniaxial compression, Applied Mineralogy Group Meeting, Geological Society of London, Cornwall Campus, 5th - 8th Jan 2009.
- Coggan JS, Stead D, Sturzenegger M, Wetherelt A. (2008) Review of recent applications of remote sensing and photogrammetry for the mining and minerals industry, RSPSoc Annual Conference 2008, Cornwall Campus, Falmouth, 15th - 17th Sep 2008.
- Coggan JS, Gwynn XP, Pine RJ, Wetherelt A. (2008) Rock mass charcterisation: is there a role for remote sensing ?, RSPSoc Annual Conference 2008, Cornwall Campus, Falmouth, 15th - 17th Sep 2008.
- Stead D, Coggan JS, Elmo D, Yan M. (2007) Modelling brittle fracture in rock slopes - experience gained and lessons learned, International Symposium on Rock Slope Stability in Open Pit Mining and Civil Engineering, Perth, 12th - 14th Sep 2007, Slope Stability 2007, pages 239-252.
- Coggan JS, Pine, RJ, Styles, TD, Stead D. (2007) Application of hybrid finite/discrete element modelling for back-analysis of rock slope failure mechanisms, International Symposium on Rock Slope Stability in Open Pit Mining and Civil Engineering, Perth, 12th - 14th Sep 2007, Slope Stability 2007, volume 1, pages 267-277.
- Coggan JS, Wetherelt A, Gwynn XP, Flynn Z. (2007) Comparison of hand-mapping with remote data capture systems for effective rock mass characterisation, 11th Congress of International Society for Rock Mechanics, Lisbon 2007, 9th - 13th Jul 2007, Proceedings of 11th Congress of the International Society for Rock Mechanics - the second half century of rock mechanics, volume 1, pages 201-205.
- Pine RJ, Owen DRJ, Coggan JS, Rance JM. (2007) A new discrete fracture modelling approach for rock masses, GEOTECHNIQUE, volume 57, no. 9, pages 757-766, DOI:10.1680/geot.2007.57.9.757. [PDF]
- Costa M, Coggan JS, Eyre JM. (2007) Numerical modelling of slope behaviour of Delabole slate quarry (Cornwall, UK), International Journal of Surface Mining, Reclamation and Environment, volume 13, no. 1, pages 11-18, DOI:10.1080/09208119908944196. [PDF]
- Stead D, Coggan JS. (2006) Numerical modelling of rock slopes using a total slope failure approach, NATO Advanced Research Workshop on Massive Rock Slope Failure - New Models for Hazard Assessment, Celano, Italy, 16th - 21st Jun 2002, Landslides from Massive Rock Slope Failure, volume 49, pages 129-138.
- Stead D, Yan M, Elmo D, Coggan JS. (2006) New developments in rock slope engineering: implications for open pit slope design, Sea to Sky 2006, Vancouver, 1st - 4th Oct 2006, 59th Canadian Geotechnical conference, pages 1054-1061.
- Pine RJ, Coggan JS, Flynn ZN, Elmo D. (2006) The development of a new numerical modelling approach for Naturally fractured rock masses, Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, volume 39, no. 5, pages 395-419, DOI:10.1007/s00603-006-0083-x.
- Stead D, Eberhardt E, Coggan JS. (2006) Developments in the characterization of complex rock slope deformation and failure using numerical modelling techniques, Engineering Geology, volume 83, no. 1-3, pages 217-235, DOI:10.1016/j.enggeo.2005.06.033.
- Coggan JS, Wetherelt, A, Flynn, Z. (2006) Modelling fractured rock masses in underground spaces, Tunnels and Tunnelling International, pages 38-41.
- Coggan JS, Stead D. (2005) Numerical modelling of the effects of weak mudstone on tunnel roof behaviour, Saskatoon, 18th - 21st Sep 2005, 58th Canadian Geotechnical Conference.
- Coggan JS, Stead D. (2005) Numerical modelling of upland slope failure mechanissms, RGS-IBG Annual international Conference 2005, London.
- Elmo D, Coggan JS, Pine RJ. (2005) Characterisation of rock mass strength using a combination of discontinuity mapping and fracture mechanics modelling, Alaska Rocks 2005,, Alaska, American Rock Mechanics Association. ARMA/USRMS, volume Paper 05-733.
- Stead D, Ming Y, Coggan JS, Eberhardt E. (2005) New developments in the analysis of surface mine slopes, 14th International Symposium on Mine Planning and Equipment selection, Banff, Alberta.
- Eberhardt E, Stead D, Coggan JS. (2004) Numerical analysis of initiation and progressive failure in natural rock slopes - the 1991 Randa rockslide, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ROCK MECHANICS AND MINING SCIENCES, volume 41, no. 1, pages 69-87, DOI:10.1016/S1365-1609(03)00076-5. [PDF]
- Stead D, Coggan JS, Eberhardt E. (2004) Realistic simulation of rock slope failure mechanisms: the need to incorporate principles of fracture mechanics, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ROCK MECHANICS AND MINING SCIENCES, volume 41, no. 3, pages 466-466, DOI:10.1016/j.ijrmms.2003.12.138. [PDF]
- Stead D, Eberhardt E, Coggan JS. (2004) Modelling of complex rock slope failure mechanisms using a hybrid finite/discrete element code, 9th International Symposium on landslides,, Rio De Janeiro, 28th Jun - 2nd Jul 2004, Landslides: Evaluation and Stabilization, volume 2, pages 1067-1072.
- Stead D, Eberhardt E, Coggan JS. (2003) New deveopments in the simulation of rock slope failure, Geohazards 2003, Edmonton, 3rd canadian conference on geotechnique and natural hazards, pages 130-137.
- Eberhardt E, Stead D, Coggan JS. (2003) Hybrid finite/discrete element modelling of progressive failure in massive rock slopes, ISRM 2003 Technology roadmap for rock mechanics, Johannesburg, SAIMM Symposium series, pages 275-279.
- Coggan JS, Pine RJ, Rance J, Stead D. (2003) Numerical modelling of brittle rock failure using a combined finite-discrete element approach: Implications for rock engineering design, ISRM 2003 - Technology roadmap for rock mechanics, SAIMM Symposium series S33, pages 211-218.
- Westgate B, Coggan JS, Pine RJ. (2003) Development of a risk-based approach to coastal instability assessment in cornwall, Geoscience in south-west England, volume 10, pages 390-396.
- Stead D, Coggan JS, Howe JH, Pascoe DM. (2002) Application of hazard and risk assessment techniques to United Kingdom quarry slopes, 36th Forum on the Geology of Industrial Minerals/11th Extractive Industry Geology Conference, Bath, England, 7th - 12th May 2000, INDUSTRIAL MINERALS AND EXTRACTIVE INDUSTRY GEOLOGY, pages 255-261.
- Beer AJ, Stead D, Coggan JS. (2002) Estimation of the Joint Roughness Coefficient (JRC) by visual comparison, ROCK MECHANICS AND ROCK ENGINEERING, volume 35, no. 1, pages 65-74, DOI:10.1007/s006030200009. [PDF]
- Kent FL, Bigby D, Coggan JS, Chilton J. (2002) Comparison of acoustic emission and stress measurement results to evaluate the application of the Kaiser effect for stress determination in underground mines, Morgantown, West Virginia, 21st International conference on ground control in mining, pages 270-277.
- Meyer LHI, Coggan JS, Stead D. (2001) Three-dimensional modeling of sequential tunnel advance, FLAC AND NUMERICAL MODELING IN GEOMECHANICS, pages 383-390. [PDF]
- Coggan JS, Pine RJ, Stead D. (2001) A proposed methodology for rockfall risk assessment along coastlines, GEOSCIENCE IN SOUTH-WEST ENGLAND, VOL 10, PT 2 2001, volume 10, pages 190-194. [PDF]
- Coggan JS, Stead D, Howe JH. (2001) Application of surveying techniques for monitoring and appraisal of excavated china clay slopes, 10th FIG International symposium on deformation measurements, Orange, California, 19th - 22nd Mar 2001.
- Coggan JS, Stead D, Howe JH. (2000) Characterisation of a structurally controlled flowslide in a kaolinised granitic slope, 8th International Symposium on Landslides, Cardiff, 26th - 30th Jun 2000, Landslides in research, theory and practice, volume 1, pages 299-304. [PDF]
- Stead D, Benko B, Eberhardt E, Coggan JS. (2000) Mechanisms of failure of complex landslides: a numerical modelling perspective, 8th International Symposium on Landslides, Cardiff, 26th - 30th Jun 2000, Landslides in research, theory and practice, volume 3, pages 1401-1406. [PDF]
- Stead D, Coggan JS, Howe JH. (2000) Engineering geology and hazard assessment of excavated china clay slopes, GEOSCIENCE IN SOUTH-WEST ENGLAND, VOL 10, PT 1 2000, volume 10, pages 72-76. [PDF]
- Meyer LHI, Stead D, Coggan JS. (1999) Three dimensional modelling of the effects of high horizontal stress on underground excavation stability, 9th ISRM Congress, pages 411-416.
- Kent FL, Coggan JS, Altounyan PR. (1999) Investigation into factors affecting roadway deformation in the Selby coalfield, Geotechical and geological engineering, volume 16, pages 273-289, DOI:10.1023/A:1008828832473.
- Meyer LHI, Stead D, Coggan JS. (1999) Three dimensional modelling of the effects of high horizontal stress on underground excavation stability, NINTH INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS ON ROCK MECHANICS, VOLS 1 & 2, pages 411-416. [PDF]
- Meyer LHI, Coggan JS, Stead D. (1999) Three dimensional non-linear modelling of the effects of high horizontal stress on underground excavation face-end stability, ROCK MECHANICS FOR INDUSTRY, VOLS 1 AND 2, pages 147-152. [PDF]
- Sharpe L, Coggan JS, Bigby DN. (1998) Assessment of roadway and yielding-pillar performance during retreat longwall extraction at a United kingdom deep mine, Morgantown, West Virginia, 17th International Conference on ground control in mining, pages 119-128.
- Pascoe DM, Powell N, Coggan JS, Atkinson K, Owen M. (1998) Methodology for underground excavation risk analysis using the Canadian stability graph method, MINE PLANNING AND EQUIPMENT SELECTION 1998, pages 199-205. [PDF]
- Shail RK, Coggan JS, Stead D. (1998) Coastal landsliding in Cornwall, UK: Mechanisms, modelling and implications, EIGHTH INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR ENGINEERING GEOLOGY AND THE ENVIRONMENT, PROCEEDINGS, VOLS 1-5, pages 1323-1330. [PDF]
- Coggan JS, Stead D, Eyre JM. (1998) Evaluation of techniques for quarry slope stability assessment, TRANSACTIONS OF THE INSTITUTION OF MINING AND METALLURGY SECTION B-APPLIED EARTH SCIENCE, volume 107, pages B139-B147. [PDF]
- Coggan JS, Wetherelt A, Shail RK. (1997) Use of rock mass classification in tunnelling projects within the South West Region of the United Kingdom, Tunnelling under difficult conditions and rock mass classification, Basel, Switzerland, 27th - 29th Oct 1997, Tunnelling under difficult conditions and rock mass classification, pages 33-47.
- Kent FL, Hurt KG, Coggan JS. (1997) Design and application of cablebolt reinforcement in United Kingdom coal mine roadways, TUNNELLING '97, pages 225-240. [PDF]
- Kent FL, Hurt KG, Coggan JS. (1997) Design and application of cablebolt reinforcement in United kingdom coal mine roadways, Minerals Industry International, pages 44-50.
- Coggan JS, Pine RJ. (1996) Application of distinct-element modelling to assess slope stability at Delabole slate quarry, Cornwall, England, TRANSACTIONS OF THE INSTITUTION OF MINING AND METALLURGY SECTION A-MINING INDUSTRY, volume 105, pages A22-A30. [PDF]
Showing 110 publications from Symplectic.