Dr Sam Hughes
Senior Lecturer / Prog. Director for UG Geology
Telephone: 01326 259410
What I do at CSM - Education
My involvement in education includes teaching and supervision on a variety of our undergraduate and postgraduate taught programmes within the disciplines of surveying and geology. I also provide project supervision with a Southwest England theme, and I am an academic tutor for undergraduate geology students. More info.
I am also programme director for the undergraduate geology programmes. This role includes overseeing organisation and management of the degree programmes to ensure an excellent standard of education and student experience.
What I do at CSM - Research
My research focus is primarily based on the geology of SW England, particularly with structural geology, tectonics and granite magmatism. My postgraduate research was based on understanding tectonomagmatic controls on granite pluton construction and the processes leading to the magmatic-hydrothermal transition in west Cornwall, focusing on the Land's End Granite. More info.
- Magmatic evolution of granite systems, and the transition from magmatic to hydrothermal processes leading to the formation of magmatic-hydrothermal ore deposits
- Structural controls on pluton construction and the role of regional tectonics
- Variscan and post-Variscan tectonic evolution of SW England
- Devonian / Carboniferous basin development in SW England
- Historical and contemporaneous mining in Cornwall and west Devon
2022 to present: Senior Lecturer (Education & Scholarship), Camborne School of Mines, University of Exeter.
2009 to 2022: Associate Lecturer (Education & Scholarship), Camborne School of Mines, University of Exeter.
2009 to 2019: PhD in Earth Resources, Camborne School of Mines, University of Exeter.
2009 to 2010: Surveyor, Kemp Engineering and Surveying.
2005 to 2008 – BSc Applied Geology, Camborne School of Mines, University of Exeter.
Industrial Associations / Membership of Professional Bodies
- Master of the Camborne School of Mines (MCSM)
- Fellow of the Geological Society of London (FGS)
- Member of the Cornish Institute of Engineers (IOM3)
- Member of The Ussher Society
- Geological Society of London South West Regional Group (SWRG)
- The Ussher Society
- Marine Learning Alliance